September 27, 2009

Adventures in baby food

This afternoon while Matt was watching football and Chase was taking a nap I felt adventurous and decided to make my first attemp at homemade baby food. (Yes, I know. I'm wild.) I've been wanting to try this even before Chase began eating baby food but didn't have the courage. Well I decided that today was the day. I started with carrots. I bought a bag of organic carrots and peeled them, cut them in smaller pieces and steamed them. While they were cooking I pulled out my cuisinart food processor that I don't use enough. After the carrots finished steaming I used the food processor to grind them down into the mushy mixture soft enough for Chase to eat. Unfortunately the entire bag only made enough food for 5 containers. I was certain that it would make more. This was just a trial run so now I know.After I finished making the carrots I decided to keep going since I had all the "equipment" out. So I put two very large organic sweet potatoes in the oven and cut some organic peaches in half before putting them in the pot to steam. With my confidence growing I decided to keep going and cook more of the vegetable(s) and fruit that I bought yesterday at the grocery store.


Here's the final result. After 2 1/2 hours here is all the baby food that I made. I was very proud of myself. I decided that since I spent so much time and effort making all this food for Chase it only made sense for me to let him try it. I gathered up a bib, fixed a small amount of rice cereal (mixed with breast milk) and pulled out one of the containers of carrots. It was a little thicker than store-bought babyfood so I thinned it out a little with more breast milk. Chase didn't seem to love it quite as much as the bananas or pears that he ate earlier today but he did eat almost all of the first container. Mission accomplished. It's definitely cheaper than store-bought baby food but it is an awful lot of work.

2 comments:

  1. Great job!! I used to say I was going to do the same thing, but I still haven't done it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl!

    ~Jenn Koehler, Noah's mom!

    ReplyDelete