November 15, 2010

Is chalk poisonous?

Anyone else ever wondered this?  Anyone else's child pop a piece of chalk in their mouth and swallow it like a piece of candy?

Well, Chase did this earlier this evening.  It took me completely by surprise because he's been pretty good about not eating things that aren't food.  I mean sure he'll put things in his mouth.  But as soon as he does and realizes that it doesn't taste so good, he gives me a look (waiting for my reaction).  I will (typically) exclaim, "Chase!  What is in your mouth??  Spit that out!" and he quickly does just that.

This was not the case tonight.  We were having a play date at a friend's house and Chase was 'drawing' on the chalkboard easle.  Not long after that I saw him out of the corner of my eye reach down, grab the nub of blue chalk, pop it in his mouth and quickly chew it up.  Literally in the blink of an eye, the blue chalk disappeared.  If there was any doubt in my mind that it happened, Chase's blue teeth, tongue, and lips gave it away.

So, Just in case you're wondering, "Chalk is generally considered to be nonpoisonous, but it can cause problems if large amounts are swallowed." (this is according to drugs.com)

I guess we're good for now.  :)

1 comment: