April 2, 2011

Milk allergy and lipstick

I haven't blogged too much about Chase's milk allergy.  It basically just plains sucks.  And it's still there.  There's not really all that much to say about it.  I think we've adapted to his dietary limitations pretty well.  (Thank God you can still have chicken nuggets and fries when you're allergic to milk).  :)  One of the reasons it's not more 'painful' is that we live so close to places like Whole Foods and Trader Joes where you can buy things like coconut yogurt, which is an absolute favorite...  At any rate, the allergic reactions luckily don't happen that often.  But they have happened twice in the last week.  Earlier this week he had a rash after his breakfast when I dropped him off at Leslie's.  He had his normal oatmeal and I made him a 'smoothie' with strawberries and almond milk.  I blended them up using both my and Chase's leftover cut-up strawberries from the day before.  All morning I thought about what he could have eaten that was different.  All I could think of was that the oatmeal was a new Quaker 'flavor'.  But it was cinnamon.  That's obviously not dairy.  So then I realized that I had been eating (dairy) yogurt the day before and was using the same spoon to dip the strawberries into my yogurt.  I had dumped those same strawberries into Chase's smoothie.  That had to be it, right?  Well, maybe but maybe not.  Because, this morning, Chase had that same Quaker Cinnamon flavored oatmeal...And then about ten minutes later, this is what he looked like:


It's kind of hard to see in this picture (I did the best I could), but see the splotches around his mouth?  And see the redness between his eyes??  He was on a pretty important phone call (probably asking Bebe to hurry up and finish her work in Richmond, VA) so it was hard to get a good shot.
 So I went to the pantry and grabbed the oatmeal box, flipped over the box and read "whey protein isolate" listed as one of the ingredients (otherwise known as milk proteins).  AHA.  Well, there you go.


Now this picture.  Well, this was taken after he got into my lipstick.  He likes to imitate me and I was getting ready for a friend's baby shower.  He wanted to 'participate' so I let him hold my lipstick.  And look what happend.  Silly boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment